Top Secret Project #2: Automatic Headlights
I got a Directed Electronics 545T Nite-Lite System for under $35 from Amazon.
Basic Principals of Auto Headlights in the Gen2 CR-V:
- The switch is nominal draw (under 3 amps) for high, low and parking lights.
- The colors of the wires may seem incorrect until you pull the wires out of the sheath, where you can see the original color.
- The high/low position will switch the headlights appropriately.
- Pin 7 drives the headlights (ground switched)
- Pin 13 (Blue) drives the parking lights (ground switched)
Implementation of the 545T in the Gen2 CR-V:
- DRL function is useless as it just leaves your headlights on; potentially on high beams.
- Path light function doesn't work; not sure why.
- Wiper sense is not yet understood
- "Off" switch implemented on dash (see bottom pictures)
- DEI Micro Relay added to splice kill from parking brake
- pin 85: wire to brake switch
- pin 86: wire to 12v constant
- pin 87: wire to -null-
- pin 87a: wire to device that needs 12v
- pin 30: 12v that will be delivered to device at pin 87a
- Always leave at least 1" of shielding before the plug.
- Carefully strip 1" of shielding off of the wire NOT CUTTING THE WIRE
- Separate the strands into 2 sides (forming an eye)
- Put tapping wire into "eye" and squeeze it close, then twist tap wire around splice
- Tape two shielded parts of the wire together in parallel (to remove tension on the joint)
- Solder with a 25-35 watt iron
- Let cool and wrap with electrical tape
Not that you can see much, but here's the pictures; the module is actually mounted behind the cluster: